Connect with us

News

Exclusive: Adam Robitel Brings Us Back to Classic Slashers in Wicked New Script

Published

on

Warning: This article contains graphic imagery…

Campfires were made for scary stories.  The dark surrounds us as the shadows flicker in firelight, and invariably, someone knows a story.  It may be a story we’ve heard a hundred times, but something about the looming trees and primal sounds of the woods still puts chills in our bones and shivers in our spines.

Some of those stories last forever and a mere mention of the name puts us back into those woods.  For many who grew up in the northeastern part of the United States, a singular name is synonymous with campfires and scary stories:  CROPSEY.

In one of his newest scripts, Adam Robitel, writer/director of The Taking of Deborah Logan and director of the upcoming Insidious Chapter 4, has teamed with Old Lime Productions to breathe new life into the terrifying urban legend and, they hope, into the slasher sub-genre of horror films.

Old Lime approached Robitel with the legend and asked him to see what he could do with the infamous story.  They were a newly formed company at the time with an exciting slate of ideas that they hoped would provide content for a variety of the new streaming platforms now available.

“We feel like there is such a need and want for content out there with all these new streaming services coming out practically every month,” says Raymond Esposito of Old Lime, “and we are looking forward to playing in that sandbox.”

However, when faced with the Cropsey legend, the writer/director was, to say the least, stumped.  This was a story that had been told before and had provided inspiration for classic genre films like The Burning and Friday the 13th.  They were great movies, but the story had definitely been “done”, and he admits that the task ahead was daunting.

“I felt like the slasher genre had to come back because it’s all cyclical,” Robitel says.  “Still, I struggled for a long time to find a different way in with the Cropsey legend that felt fresh.  I kept looking at it as the essential cautionary tale and its play on vengeance as a theme.  We’re in a new age, now though, where violence is an internet click away.  It has to be violent but also engaging.  How do I do that?!”

For those unfamiliar with this particular urban legend, it is essentially the granddaddy of all campfire stories originating in Catskill summer camps and dating back to the 1950’s.  Cropsey is essentially the story of an adult male (often a doctor, lawyer, judge, etc.) who was driven to madness when his family was killed (sometimes by accident) in a fire set by a group of teenagers. Most versions of the tale include the fact that Cropsey, himself, was severely burned during his attempt to save his family.  In a state of total blood lust and revenge, Cropsey dons some serious head gear, picks up an ax, and begins tracking down the boys who set fire to his home.

As if often the case with these sorts of tales, Cropsey could not be satiated by his revenge and so he continues to stalk the woods, preying on those who stray too far from the safety of camp.

Does it sound familiar, now?  Pick a slasher out of the 80s and tell me it doesn’t relate…go ahead, I’ll wait.

In most of the stories about him, Cropsey wore an old school gas mask like one might see miners wear…

Still, Robitel did not want to follow the outline of that urban legend completely.  In fact, he toyed with several different plotlines before he finally felt like he’d hit the bull’s eye.

“I went through all kinds of crazy ideas,” he admits.  “I had an alien craft landing and the alien was telepathically enslaving townies and causing them to do crazy things.  I had a period piece set in the 60s that involved an inner city Catholic school group on a camp outing in the Catskills where they ended up being tracked by a wendigo.  Yeah, I might have gone off the edge a couple of times.”

Ultimately, however, Robitel settled on a more basic idea that took the script back to the roots of what the Cropsey legend was all about, and he found the perfect setting in those same Catskill Mountains, now an eerie ghost town of massive abandoned hotels and resorts.

The deserted beauty of the Catskills. Top photos by Walter Arnold; Bottom photo by Andy Milford

A man and his wife, in the midst of marital problems, decide they need a fresh start.  They pack up their family and head into the Catskills intent on restoring one of the old abandoned resorts that still dot the countryside to its original splendor and hopefully do the same to their marriage.  Unbeknownst to them, however, an entire tribe of drug-addled, almost feral people have chosen to squat on the land where their new start sits.

It’s their drug of choice, Krokodil, which makes this tribe so dangerous and so unbelievably terrifying.  I admit I’d never heard of it before speaking with Robitel about the project, but he was quick with details and with pictures to back up his claims.  A derivative of morphine, Krokodil may be the nastiest synthetic drug known to man.  It has a solid 50% morbidity rate and is almost entirely addictive for most after one use.  Unfortunately for those addicts, their flesh begins to become necrotic and most end up dying of sepsis.  The drug, borne in Russia, is now making its way into America and Robitel found that grounding the film’s world in a very real horror was the scariest way forward.

Victims of Krokodil

Of course, these two worlds do not collide easily, nor can they coexist.

“The violence in the script is almost operatic in scale.  I’ve always appreciated that kind of ratcheting violence,” Robitel points out citing Sam Peckinpah, Wes Craven, and the French film Ils (Them) as major influences.

Operatic is exactly the right word for the story he’s telling.  John, the patriarch of the family, slowly sees his own humanity stripped away by the assault of this primitive tribe of addicts in a way that would make Shakespeare’s King Lear or Job from the Bible wince.

“The dad is somewhat complicit in the sin, so to speak,” he says.  “He could have chosen not to react the way he did on their first meeting.  He could have made different decisions, but he’s human and his choices fail him.”

With a completed script that is, in my own opinion, quite terrifying, Robitel and Old Lime are on the lookout now for a director to helm the piece.  Robitel intends to produce alongside the company, and he says his dream would be to find a young director who is capable of handling the violence and tension of the script while preserving the fact that at its core, this is the story of a family faced with a set of circumstances they could never imagine.

Cropsey could easily be the film that sparks a slasher revolution with Old Lime and Robitel at its helm.  It’s the perfect combination of something old mixed with something new and revitalizing, and iHorror will be at the foreground, keeping you posted every step of the way!

'Civil War' Review: Is It Worth Watching?

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Movies

‘Evil Dead’ Film Franchise Getting TWO New Installments

Published

on

It was a risk for Fede Alvarez to reboot Sam Raimi’s horror classic The Evil Dead in 2013, but that risk paid off and so did its spiritual sequel Evil Dead Rise in 2023. Now Deadline is reporting that the series is getting, not one, but two fresh entries.

We already knew about the Sébastien Vaniček upcoming film that delves into the Deadite universe and should be a proper sequel to the latest film, but we are broadsided that Francis Galluppi and Ghost House Pictures are doing a one-off project set in Raimi’s universe based off of an idea that Galluppi pitched to Raimi himself. That concept is being kept under wraps.

Evil Dead Rise

“Francis Galluppi is a storyteller who knows when to keep us waiting in simmering tension and when to hit us with explosive violence,” Raimi told Deadline. “He is a director that shows uncommon control in his feature debut.”

That feature is titled The Last Stop In Yuma County which will release theatrically in the United States on May 4. It follows a traveling salesman, “stranded at a rural Arizona rest stop,” and “is thrust into a dire hostage situation by the arrival of two bank robbers with no qualms about using cruelty-or cold, hard steel-to protect their bloodstained fortune.”

Galluppi is an award-winning sci-fi/horror shorts director whose acclaimed works include High Desert Hell and The Gemini Project. You can view the full edit of High Desert Hell and the teaser for Gemini below:

High Desert Hell
The Gemini Project

'Civil War' Review: Is It Worth Watching?

Continue Reading

Movies

‘Invisible Man 2’ Is “Closer Than Its Ever Been” to Happening

Published

on

Elisabeth Moss in a very well-thought-out statement said in an interview for Happy Sad Confused that even though there have been some logistical issues for doing Invisible Man 2 there is hope on the horizon.

Podcast host Josh Horowitz asked about the follow-up and if Moss and director Leigh Whannell were any closer to cracking a solution to getting it made. “We are closer than we have ever been to cracking it,” said Moss with a huge grin. You can see her reaction at the 35:52 mark in the below video.

Happy Sad Confused

Whannell is currently in New Zealand filming another monster movie for Universal, Wolf Man, which might be the spark that ignites Universal’s troubled Dark Universe concept which hasn’t gained any momentum since Tom Cruise’s failed attempt at resurrecting The Mummy.

Also, in the podcast video, Moss says she is not in the Wolf Man film so any speculation that it’s a crossover project is left in the air.

Meanwhile, Universal Studios is in the middle of constructing a year-round haunt house in Las Vegas which will showcase some of their classic cinematic monsters. Depending on attendance, this could be the boost the studio needs to get audiences interested in their creature IPs once more and to get more films made based on them.

The Las Vegas project is set to open in 2025, coinciding with their new proper theme park in Orlando called Epic Universe.

'Civil War' Review: Is It Worth Watching?

Continue Reading

News

Jake Gyllenhaal’s Thriller ‘Presumed Innocent’ Series Gets Early Release Date

Published

on

Jake gyllenhaal presumed innocent

Jake Gyllenhaal’s limited series Presumed Innocent is dropping on AppleTV+ on June 12 instead of June 14 as originally planned. The star, whose Road House reboot has brought mixed reviews on Amazon Prime, is embracing the small screen for the first time since his appearance on Homicide: Life on the Street in 1994.

Jake Gyllenhaal’s in ‘Presumed Innocent’

Presumed Innocent is being produced by David E. Kelley, J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot, and Warner Bros. It is an adaptation of Scott Turow’s 1990 film in which Harrison Ford plays a lawyer doing double duty as an investigator looking for the murderer of his colleague.

These types of sexy thrillers were popular in the ’90s and usually contained twist endings. Here’s the trailer for the original:

According to Deadline, Presumed Innocent doesn’t stray far from the source material: “…the Presumed Innocent series will explore obsession, sex, politics and the power and limits of love as the accused fights to hold his family and marriage together.”

Up next for Gyllenhaal is the Guy Ritchie action movie titled In the Grey scheduled for release in January 2025.

Presumed Innocent is an eight-episode limited series set to stream on AppleTV+ starting June 12.

'Civil War' Review: Is It Worth Watching?

Continue Reading