Arrow Video’s Threshold is looking fantastic. After its screening at a few film fests, it has arrived on blu-ray and we can’t wait to check it out. The story is a slow burner that revolves around a road trip filled with wall to wall mystery, terror and possible witchiness.
I love me a good road trip film and I love a film that has the job of balancing a tough narrative line throughout. In this case, is Leo’s estranged sister Virginia still on drugs or is what she is saying about a cult and a mysterious leader actually true? Was it an overdose that Virginia experiences or is it something more sinister?
The clip below explores the relationship between estranged brother and sister and the intense, charming bond that these two characters have for each other.
The synopsis for Threshold goes like this:
“When a phone call from out of the blue brings Leo (Joey Millin) back into contact with his sister, Virginia (Madison West), long estranged from her family due to years of drug abuse, he arrives to find her alone in a bare apartment in the midst of an apparent overdose. After the convulsions and nausea subside, Virginia insists to Leo that she has been clean for 8 months due to the help of a mysterious group. She confides to her cynical brother that her edginess and paranoia actually stem from a sinister ritual conducted by the group that took her in at her lowest and eventually revealed themselves to be a cult. This curse bound her emotions and physical sensations to a man she has never met before. With his marriage on the rocks, Leo has his own demons to face. Nonetheless, he is reluctantly persuaded by Virginia to embark on a cross-country road trip to track down this shadowy stranger under the caveat that if he’s nowhere to be found and it’s all in her head, she’ll go to rehab. However, as their date with destiny draws nearer, Leo begins to suspect his sister’s tall tale might have some substance.”
The blu-ray’s features are as follows:
- High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation
- Original 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Brand new audio commentary with directors Powell Robinson & Patrick R. Young, producer Lauren Bates and lead actors Joey Millin and Madison West
- Brand new audio commentary with directors Powell Robinson & Patrick R Young, and editor William Ford-Conway
- Crossing the Threshold, a feature-length documentary on the making of Threshold
- Elevating iPhone Footage: Color Correction Breakdown
- Something from Nothing: Indie Genre Director Roundtable moderated by Scott Weinberg with directors Powell Robinson & Patrick R Young (Threshold), Brandon Espy (We Follow You), James Byrkit (Coherence), Zach Donohue (The Den) and Elle Callahan (Witch Hunt)
- The Power of Indie Horror – Acting for Unconventional Film roundtable discussion moderated by Zena Dixon with the actors Madison West and Joey Millin (Threshold), Kelsey Griswold (Followed), Gabrielle Walsh and Ryan Shoos
- The Sounds of Threshold original soundtrack
- Threshold original outline script
- Trailer and original teaser
- Image gallery
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Coffee and Cigarettes
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Anton Bitel